Credit by ExaminationPTC offers assessment services for several categories of examinations in order for students to earn college credit. Information of exam and evaluation services is provided below, along with any forms students need to request these services. Credit will not be evaluated without the appropriate completed PLA Application.
Category I Exams - nationally recognized exams commonly accepted among colleges; also in this category are military credit evaluation, courses taken as a high school student through international baccalaureate programs, and credit earned through an institution or agency with an academic agreement.
Evaluation services for this category are provided at no additional cost. Simply have the institution or testing agency listed below send the official scores directly to the Office of the Registrar.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Pulaski Technical College does not administer CLEP exams but does accept some CLEP tests for credit.
- Registration and test center location
- Test Descriptions
- CLEP tests accepted at Pulaski Technical College (PDF)
Advanced Placement Program (AP)
DANTES Standardized Subject Tests (DSST)
DSSTs are available to military students to provide opportunity to earn college credit through examination. PTC recognizes the American Council for Education’s recommended scores for the accepted exams.
American Council on Education (ACE) for joint services transcript evaluation
Please contact VA representative for PTC, Brandi Hutsell, at email@example.com for military services.
International Baccalaureate (IB) Program
Pulaski Technical College may award college credit for some IB courses. An official transcript must be mailed from the IB institution directly to the Office of the Registrar.
Memorandum of Understanding with Institution/Agency
Pulaski Technical College offers articulated credit for some programs at the following high schools:
- Little Rock
- North Little Rock
Pulaski Tech accepts credits earned by law enforcement officers through the Criminal Justice Institute toward certificates and degrees in law enforcement and crime scene investigation.
Category II Exams - includes several opportunities for evaluation of
certifications or licenses that are awarded at the national or state level, as
well as some traditionally non-transferrable coursework from other institutions.
Some brief information is provided below. See the PLA Student Manual for more
A $25 PLA Application Fee must accompany the Credit By Exam Application. Submit the form and payment to the PTC Business Office. Official results or documentation must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
Students awarded credit will be charged 25% of current tuition in order to have the credit posted to the transcript.
Allied Health and Human Services
- Anesthesia Technology – the American Society of Anesthesia Technologist
and Technicians’ (ASATT) technician certification exam.
- Early Childhood Development – the Child Development Associate exam
offered by the CDA Council
- Radiography – Current Registered Technologist, Radiographer (RT(R)) who have successfully completed the certification exam administered by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists
Information Technology and Business
The IT industry hosts a number of industry and corporate certifications. Please inquire if you hold an IT certification to see if credit may be awarded.
- A+ Certification
- Certified Ethical Hacker
- Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT, after Sept. 2013 only)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNAS)
- EMC Proven Professional Information Storage Associate v2 (EMCISA)
- Microsoft Customer Desktop Support Technician
- Microsoft Server Administrator
- Network+ Certification
- VMWare Certified Professional 5-Data Center Virtualization (VCP5-DCV)
The culinary arts have several levels of certifications offered by the American
Culinary Federation that may be evaluated to earn credit from the culinary
institute. The following certifications are accepted for evaluation:
- Certified Executive Chef
- Certified Chef de Cuisine
- Certified Sous Chef
- Certified Culinarian
- Certified Executive Pastry Chef
- Certified Working Pastry Chef
- Certified Pastry Culinarian
Technical & Industrial Division
- Automotive - Automotive Service Excellence offers a variety of A-series
certifications including A1 – Engine Repair, A2 – Automatic
Transmission/Transaxle, A3 – Manual Drive Train & Axles, A4 – Suspension &
Steering, A5 – Brakes, A6 – Electrical/Electronic Systems, A7 – Heating & Air
Conditioning, and A8 – Engine Performance.
- Collision Repair - I-CAR has several training opportunities including Hazardous
Materials, Personal Safety, and Refinish Safety (WKR01); Surface Preparation and
Masking (REF02); Trim and Hardware (TRM01); Adhesive Bonding (ADH01); Vehicle
Identification, Estimating Systems, and Terminology (DAM01); Cosmetic
Straightening Steel (STS01); Plastic and Cosmetic Repair (PLA03); Movable Glass
- Cosmetology - cosmetology certification from the State Board of Cosmetology
- Diesel - Class A Commercial drivers license
- Environmental Safety - Waste Water Operator certification from the Arkansas
Department of Health
- Professional Pilot - the Federal Aviation Administration’s Private Pilot,
Instrument Rating, and/or Commercial Pilot certification exams
- Welding - the SMAW 3G, GMAW 3G, and/or GTAW 3G certifications from the American Welding Society
Category III – college-conducted challenge exams that are offered where no
acceptable nationally recognized options are available. At this time, there are
no challenge exams offered by PTC. However, faculty and staff are considering
Credit By Examination Evaluation Fees
The following is a list of
non-refundable prior learning assessment fees by
category of prior learning credit. Students should be aware that financial aid
awarded to a student’s account does not cover the cost of petitioning and
obtaining credit through PLA. All fees are an out-of-pocket expense to the
Category I Exams: no charge
Category II Exams:
PLA Application Fee: $25
PLA Credit Hour Fee: 25% of current tuition
Category III Exams:
Paper- or computer- based challenge exam: $75
Practical challenge exam: $100