Professional DevelopmentThe Professional Development Institute provides and promotes professional development activities for PTC faculty and staff. These events are advertised through campus e-mail, but a list of upcoming events can be located in Technet, the PTC Intranet. To access the current list of PD opportunities, follow the directions for registering (below). New: Video of how to register.
- Mandatory Trainings
- Electronic Gradebook and the Jenzabar LMS
- Portal Presence
- Registering for Events
- Additional Information and Resources
All Pulaski Technical College employees, part- or full-time, are required to complete the following trainings each calendar year.
- Active Shooter
- Emergency Procedures
- Laura’s Law
- Mandated Reporter (available online only, information below)
- Sexual Harassment
At this time, all mandatory training, except for Sexual Harassment and Title IX are available online.
Mandated Reporter training
The purpose of this online course is to help all Arkansas Mandated Reporters
understand their critical role in protecting children by recognizing and
reporting child abuse. As employees of an institution of higher education with
students under the age of 18, we are considered Mandated Reporters. Everyone who
suspects child abuse or neglect should call the Arkansas Child Abuse Hotline to
make a report, but Mandated Reporters are required by law to do so.
Instructions for accessing the Mandated Reporter Training:
- Click on the link to access the training. You will probably have to
complete the registration process. If so, click “Register for an account” to
begin. Write your information down somewhere, as you will need it each year.
Otherwise, sign in and begin the training.
Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse: Training for Arkansas Mandated Reporters
- Complete the pre-test, self-paced training, and post-test.
- Save the Certificate of Completion as a PDF and send it to Jayne Pyle at email@example.com. Your certificate will be sent to Human Resources once we record the information into our database.
Note to High School Teachers
Licensed educators in Arkansas seeking to fulfill the professional development child maltreatment requirement please go to www.arkansasideas.org. If you have already completed this training or are required by your school to complete it in another venue, please forward a copy of your certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Electronic Gradebook and the Jenzabar LMS
The Electronic Gradebook LibGuides site houses the handouts that have been created on the Jenzabar eLearning LMS for PTC. Here, you will find instructions for accessing your online courses (gradebooks), setting up a basic gradebook, and much more.
We have a portal presence. Log in to the MyPTC portal, click on the “Faculty and Staff” tab at the top of the page, and then click “Center for Teaching Excellence” in the navigation bar. This site contains links to various resources, including instructions for accessing the ADHE Perkins webinars, using technology, and more.
The Professional Development Institute has a number of webinars that are available for on-demand training. While the webinars are not available to be loaned out, we will be happy to schedule them for your department or division to view in the training room (IT 206). Some of the topics are listed below.
- Student Success (several titles)
- Classroom Management
- Effective online teaching
- Disruptive students, campus violence
- At-risk, Millennial, transfer, and veteran students
- Using data and metrics to measure student persistence
- Retaining students, both online and on-campus
- Survival strategies for new college instructors
- First generation college students
- Technology tips
- Greening the community college
- Helping college students develop critical thinking skills
- Helping faculty manage online workloads
- Intrusive academic advising
- Law and legal issues for faculty, staff and administration
- Learning communities
- Prior learning assessment
- Active learning
- Three keys to effective decision making for academic leaders
- Registration and calendar information: Registering for professional development events and accessing the training calendar
- Course Registration for PTC Professional Development Events (PDF)
- Links to More Professional Development Resources
- Microsoft Office products
- SMART Tutorials: SMART boards, Notebook 10, SMART Sympodium, etc.
For more information about Professional Development at Pulaski Technical College, please contact:
Director, Professional Development Institute
Pulaski Technical College
3000 W. Scenic Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72118
Phone: (501) 812-2813