Pulaski Technical College Testing Services administers various assessments and approves college credit earned through credit by examination programs.
- Testing Center Information
- Foreign Language Placement Exams
- Proctored Exams for non-PTC students
- Credit by Examination
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Advanced Placement (AP)
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Program
The Pulaski Technical College Testing Center is located in the Campus Center building, room 240, on the North Little Rock campus. The Compass test is also administered in the Student Services office at the Little Rock-South location. Photo identification is required for all assessments. No food or drink is allowed in the Testing Center. Children are not allowed in the Testing Center and may not be left unattended on campus.
The COMPASS is a group of computerized placement tests by American College Testing (ACT). The COMPASS assessment measures your math, reading and writing abilities. Please take this assessment seriously. Higher scores will result in fewer required courses, saving you time and money. Lower scores will require you to take developmental courses that do not count toward your degree or certificate. First time college students must score a 62 or higher on the COMPASS reading test to be admitted to Pulaski Technical College.
How can I prepare to take the COMPASS?
- Click here to view our online COMPASS-PREP video. If you complete the video you can take your first COMPASS test for free.
- Sample questions are available at the ACT Web site: www.act.org/compass/student.
- Visit the Learning Assistance Center, Campus Center building, room 303 on the North Little Rock campus and request to participate in the COMPASS prep program.
Who is required to take the COMPASS?
- First-time entering college students.
- Transfer or other students planning to take an English or math course or courses that require English, reading or math as a prerequisite.
- Students who have taken the ACT or COMPASS more than five years ago and have not since completed a math or English course.
When and where can I take the COMPASS?
- The COMPASS is administered in the Campus Center building, room 240 on the North Little Rock campus on a walk-in basis every Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., arriving by 6:00 p.m.; every Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., arriving by 2:30 p.m., and the first Saturday of each month from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., arriving by 11 a.m., except when the campus is closed.
- The COMPASS is also administered at the Little Rock-South location every Thursday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., except when the campus is closed. You must arrive by 6 p.m.
- Testing Center hours may vary during holiday weeks and College breaks (i.e. week of Thanksgiving, Spring Break, etc.). Notices will be posted outside the Testing Center the week prior to schedule changes.
- The COMPASS is not timed, but you should plan a minimum of two hours to complete the assessment.
- Valid photo identification is required.
- Children are not allowed in the Testing Center and may not be left unattended on campus.
- Students who have a disability requiring accommodation should contact Disability Services at least one week before arriving for the test.
Click here for the Saturday testing schedule.
*** The KAPLAN is given and may only be taken twice (2 times) from MID-JANUARY UNTIL MID-APRIL ONLY. ***
The KAPLAN test is given in Room 240 of the Campus Center Building at the Main Campus in North Little Rock on:
Tuesdays- 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m.
Wednesdays- 8:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m.
(Recognized holidays and special testing days will cancel testing of the Kaplan)
NO Saturday KAPLAN testing.
The cost of the KAPLAN test is $50 and can be paid:
At the cashiers window in the Campus Center Building on the 2nd floor during testing times listed above on test days ONLY!
There is NO REFUND on the fee and no exceptions to the Tuesday 4 p.m. or Wednesday 1:30 time deadline. Proctor doesn’t accept actual payment for exams.
The KAPLAN requires a valid photo I.D., preferably a valid driver’s license or PTC Student I.D.
Please sign in on the hallway computer under “Testing Services” then choose “Kaplan”
Allied Health Secretary
(501) 812-2834 Practical Nursing program specific questions and admissions information.
The KAPLAN is a timed test and takes approximately 3 hours to complete.
All electronics, including cell phones, calculators or other devices must be turned OFF. No talking. No exceptions. Proctor reserves the right to dismiss any student from testing if these rules are violated.
The Spanish Computer Adaptive Placement Exam is designed to measure current
skill level in Spanish to place students in the correct Spanish course level. It
is administered on a walk-in basis on the main campus Testing Center every
Tuesday from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Most
students finish within 10-30 minutes. There is no fee. Photo identification is
required. Results are available immediately.
Students do not earn credits by taking the SCAPE. The test allows placement into Spanish courses without meeting prerequisite Spanish courses depending upon skill level.
Spanish (SCAPE) Scores and Course Placement:
|0-227||SPAN 1311||Elementary Spanish I|
|228-305||SPAN 1312||Elementary Spanish II|
|306-394||SPAN 2311||Intermediate Spanish I|
|395-464||SPAN 2312||Intermediate Spanish II|
A Typing Placement Exam is designed to measure current skill level in
keyboarding to place students in the correct Keyboarding course level. It is
administered on a walk-in basis on the main campus Testing Center every Tuesday
from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Most students
finish within 5 minutes. There is no fee. Photo identification is required.
Results are available immediately.
Students do not earn credits by taking the Typing Test. The test allows placement into keyboarding courses without meeting prerequisite keyboarding courses depending upon skill level.
Proctored online or pencil and paper exams for those that are not currently enrolled at Pulaski Technical College are assessed a $35 fee per exam. Exams can be scheduled during open test center hours by contacting Malcolm Smith at email@example.com or calling (501) 812-2787.
Credit by examination may be obtained through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the Advanced Placement Program (AP) and DANTES DSST exams. PTC uses the following policies for awarding college credit by examination to students:
- Students must be currently enrolled before CLEP, AP or DANTES credit can be posted to the transcript.
- Students may earn a maximum of 30 hours of credit by examination.
- No grade is awarded for credit and credit is not calculated in the grade point average.
- Credit will not be awarded if the class has been taken and a grade earned.
Official copies of CLEP, AP or DANTES score reports should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions and Records. No credit will be awarded until official score reports are received and approved.
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Pulaski Technical College does not administer CLEP exams but does accept some CLEP tests for credit.
DANTES tests are usually taken by those in the military but they are also available to non-military persons. DANTES also offers DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSSTs). DANTES score reports should be sent directly to the Pulaski Technical College Counseling Services office, 3000 West Scenic Drive, North Little Rock, AR 72118.
Pulaski Technical College may award college credit for some IB courses. An official transcript must be mailed from the IB institution directly to the PTC Dean of Enrollment Services before credit will be awarded. Credit will not be awarded without an official transcript. College credit for IB courses will be approved for credit after departmental review. Individualized curriculum will be evaluated by the Dean of Enrollment Services.
Pulaski Technical College
3000 West Scenic Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72118
Phone: (501) 812-2787
Fax: (501) 812-2787