Pulaski Technical College

Personal Counseling and Mental Health Information

All of us experience stressful periods in our lives at one time or another. PTC Counseling staff can assist students with referrals to other agencies for assistance with personal and family counseling, substance abuse issues, domestic violence and other personal or mental health issues. The following list also provides links to local agencies and mental health information. The PTC Counseling and Advising department does not assume responsibility for the quality of services provided by the mental health agencies or web sites listed. Inclusion on this list does not imply endorsement nor omission indicate disapproval.

How to Help

Faculty and staff members are in a position to play a significant role with students who may be struggling with personal or psychological issues. More importantly, because of their ongoing (and often frequent) contact with students, faculty and staff are often able to observe signs and symptoms of a potential problem long before a student may arrive at our office for services.


  • Speak honestly & directly, expressing concern without judgment
  • Ask if they have talked to anyone about it
  • Describe what you see and hear that is concerning
  • Explain and normalize referral process
  • Respect confidentiality

Signs of Distress

  • Comments about suicide, depression, abuse, or other trauma
  • Excessive frustration or anger; threats to hurt self or others
  • Under the influence of a substance
  • Inability to focus or track in conversation
  • Unusually high or low energy levels
  • Drastic changes in mood
  • Dramatic weight gain or loss
  • Traumatic changes in personal relationships (accidents, deaths, divorce, peer group changes)
  • Sudden change in class participation or performance
  • Disruptive behaviors
  • Lack of interest in hygiene or appearance
  • Inability to concentrate or perform successfully in class
  • Planning to drop out

When to refer

  • You feel the problem is beyond your ability to handle
  • Your personal feelings might interfere with objectivity
  • Person admits there is a problem, but is reluctant to talk to you
  • Person asks for information or assistance you cannot provide
  • You cannot give the student the adequate attention

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible?  Any currently enrolled Pulaski Technical College student is eligible to receive counseling services at no charge.

How do I make an appointment?  You can either call the counseling department (501) 812-2738 or visit the counseling offices.

What are counseling services?   There may be several reasons for meeting with a counselor.  Usually it is to get assistance in dealing with a difficult or stressful life situation.  This assistance may include talking it over, learning new coping skills, or getting a referral to another professional or agency that specializes in the area of need.  You may be seeking this service for yourself or you may have been referred by a doctor, instructor, or friend. 

Are the services confidential?  It is important that you feel comfortable talking to the counselor about your situation.  As a general rule, the information shared with a counselor is private and confidential and cannot be shared without your written consent.  Exceptions occur when the law and professional code of ethics requires that information be shared with the proper authorities.

How to get the most out of your counseling experience

Sharee L. Young, LMSW
(501) 812-2814
Campus Center Room 241

Sherry Rosbrough, LMSW
(501) 771-6072
Little Rock-West Student Services

Mission Statement: The principal mission of the PTC Counseling Office is to assist students in adjusting to college life by identifying and removing barriers to academic success.

>Back to Counseling Services

Pulaski Technical College
3000 West Scenic Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72118
Phone: (501) 812-2200

Copyright 2014 Pulaski Technical College. All Rights Reserved.