Current News | Archives
Community health advisory
The threat of a new strain of influenza - swine flu - has been well publicized in the media. Pulaski Technical College is dedicated to a pro-active approach toward the mitigation of any potential threat. College administration will keep a close eye on the situation.
In this case, there is cause for the public to be alert and to stay informed. While no cases have been confirmed in the state of Arkansas as of Thursday, Arkansans should be prepared for the possibility.
"The events of the last week are indeed sobering, but it's important to remember that there are things we can do," Arkansas Health Department Director Dr. Paul K. Halverson said in a statement. Public health professionals are monitoring the swine flu outbreak closely. The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday raised its pandemic alert to 5, its second-highest level, warning of possible widespread human infection. Federal, state and regional agencies and health officials are monitoring the swine flu threat.
The following links may be very informative:
There are many common-sense precautions people can take to stay healthy:
- Take common sense steps to limit the spread of germs. Make good hygiene a habit.
- Wash hands frequently with soap and warm water or anti-bacterial wash.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in a waste basket.
- Cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve if you don't have a tissue.
- Clean your hands after coughing or sneezing. Use soap and warm water or an alcohol-based hand cleaner.
- Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
- Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
- If you get sick, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.
Keep on hand a hygiene kit that includes the following items:
- Anti-microbial alcohol wipes (in addition to antiseptic wipes in First Aid Kit)
- Non-latex gloves, in addition to those in first aid kit (readily available at paint supply and hardware stores)
- Soapless/waterless alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Face masks (available at drug or hardware stores)
Pulaski Technical College
3000 West Scenic Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72118
Phone: (501) 812-2200
Copyright 2016 Pulaski Technical College. All Rights Reserved.